Monday, September 27, 2010

My intercambio!

One of the things I was most excited about when coming to Italy was setting up an intercambio! That's when I meet with someone who speaks Italian, and we teach each other our native language. Well the time had finally arrived, and I was told that I would be meeting with someone named Giorgia! I was so excited!
When we finally met, of course it was a little awkward. She was nice, young, and knew English pretty well. We walked to get gelato, and talked a bit about some places she had traveled. She asked if I preferred her to speak in Italian, and I told her I preferred her to speak a little of both. She agreed, but when she would burst into Italian, I was so confused, all I could do was nod. She then told me she would be meeting with her friend that she hadn't seen for awhile, and I could just watch them speak Italian. I agree, even though it seemed a little odd.
When they met up, they immediately dove into conversation. I just stood there, struggling to understand, but it didn't help. I didn't know at ALL what they were talking about. We went to a restaurant, and had an apperativo (some wine and appetizers). I ate what were the BEST veggies I ever had in life. They continued to talk, and I continued trying to understand. Giorgia would stop and ask me "Do you know a little bit?", I would say "ummm a little". I was definitely lying. I didn't have a clue what was going on. When we finished eating, Giorgia and I set up another meeting for that following week.
At first, I was a little dissapointed. That was not how I had planned it to go...but then I realized...I was in an Italian restaurant, with Italian women, speaking the Italian language. If I'm not embracing the culture, I don't know who is!

No comments:

Post a Comment